Friday, January 29, 2016

Before T-4

Housemates and friends after SUNY-ESF graduation

Before my accident, I was a recent graduate and had landed my dream job as a marine science instructor on Santa Catalina Island. I crossed the stage at graduation in Syracuse, hoping that I hadn't flunked any of my last classes, and looked forward to what awaited me on the other side. I had graduated. It was a battle, but I had done it and was even secured an incredible position on a beautiful island on the other side of the country! All in all, my parents were very proud and relieved that I may make something of myself yet. I was sad to leave SUNY-ESF as my many experiences there had led me to my career choice; outdoor education. The real world was different from the safe walls of parental dependence, but I wasn't completely thrust into the adult-abyss just yet because my position at the Catalina Island Marine Institute (CIMI) came with room and board covered! I was happy to avoid some responsibilities for a little while longer. 

I spent a few days back home in Maine before flying off to Los Angeles and the beginning of my life. It was time for my adventures to begin and I was obsessed with the idea that the world was at my disposal. I could do whatever I wanted, go where I wanted, be who I wanted. I was ready for what challenges awaited me and I planned to earn and own my position in the CIMI community.


Working for CIMI was all that I had imagined. School groups attend our programs for 3-5 day periods and learn about different topics dealing with ocean science. As instructors, we would take groups of students snorkeling, hiking, and kayaking to allow hands-on experience and challenging activities that would (hopefully) provide students with the skills and information to better care for our Earth's ocean. Not only was I living in vacationland, but I was also lucky enough to have a purpose to be passionate about. Playing with children while also playing with ocean critter...what more could a girl ask for?
Shark Harbor, Little Harbor and the Whale's Tail

Training Week with the new Summer employees, AKA 'New Fish'

Far left; view of long point, far right; view of Toyon Bay and CIMI


No comments:

Post a Comment